Dr. Luis Peña
- Lecturer and researcher in conflict analysis, security, and peacebuilding
- Researcher of the Study Center for the Reconciliation of the University of Jena in Germany (JCRS)
- Fellowship researcher of the Maria Sibylla Merian Center for Advanced Latin American Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences (CALAS)
- Lecturer and researcher at the University Externado of Colombia, IGAC Colombia, National University of Medellin Colombia, University of Jena, the FLACSO in Quito, Humboldt University in Berlin and the University of Leipzig in Germany
- Founding member of the network of Critical Geography Rooted in Latin American -GEORAIZAL
- 2008- 2015. PhD in Social Geography. University of the High Britany Rennes 2. Doctoral school of humanities and social sciences -ED 464. Rennes, France. Title doctoral thesis: Securitizing the city: public policies, collective actions and everyday practices in a Latin American metropolis. The case of Bogotá (Colombia). Certificate with honour. Disputation 30.01.2015
- 2006-2007. Master 2 Research in Regional and territorial planning, University of the High Britany Rennes 2, Rennes, France. Title of the master thesis: the construction of security discourses in the 1990´s
- 1997-2002Undergraduate diploma in Geography, Nacional University of Colombia - Bogota, Colombia. Title of undergraduate thesis: The spatiality of industry in Bogotá. Spatial representations and economic change in the 1990´s
- Research Interests
- Spatiality of peace and reconciliation. Territorial peace
- Security, securitization, desecuritization and peacebuilding
- Social movements, collective action and political innovation
- Violence and conflict in the structuration of space
- Spatial policies and governance
- Social conflicts and political geography
- Spatial analysis with GIS, social cartography and collective mapping
German, English, French, Spanish
- Epistemologies of space
- Research methodologies for the spatial analysis
- Conflict analysis
- Select Events
- Presentation at the CALAS conference "Hate and Politics" on October 16, 2019 with the paper: “if all you have a hammer everything looks like a nail. Securitist political common sense in Colombia”
- Workshop of the Calas Program / Transatlantic Tandem October 18, 11 am. School of Humanities, Campus Miguelete, UNSAM: Territorial peace: connecting the moral imagination and the geographical imagination
- First international congress of human sciences. Presentation. Local epistemologies on body-nature-territory harmonization. Struggles for recognition and humanization. UNSAM 6 - 8 de november 2019
- Conference: Dialogue platform CALAS. Peace: visions, strategies, struggles, Gaudalajara 04-06/ 12/2019, paper: Peace from the Az Mapu perspective. The Mapuche visions of peace
- Select Publications
- Peña, Luis (2019), Territorial peace: connecting moral imagination and geographical imagination. German Colombian Center for Peace Studies. CAPAZ. Series: Documents. No. 2
- Peña, Luis (2017) Urban security in motion: State, collective actions, and daily practices in the face of insecurity. Bogota CIDS Externado University of Colombia.
- Peña, Luis, (with other authors) in 2013. Territories of life, participation and dignity for children and young people. Research on the activation and reinforcement of networks for the joy of human rights. Research Institute for education and pedagogical development. IDEP, mayor of Bogotá. Colombia.
- Peña, Luis (2019), “if all you have a hammer everything looks like a nail. Securitist political common sense in Colombia”. When will the tremor finish? Crisis, violence and peace in contemporary Latin America. Arias, D. Hatzky, C (editors). Center for Historical Research of Central America CIHAC. CALAS. San Jose of Costa Rica.
- Peña, Luis, (2019) “Youth, actions, networks and space in the production of security in Bogotá”. In Gutiérrez Cham, Gerardo; Kaltmeier, Olaf (eds.): Here young people! Facing the crisis, Guadalajara: Editorial of the University of Guadalajara. CALAS.
- Peña, Luis, (2019) Constroversies over territorial peace. Lessons from social organizations on the relationship of the territory with the construction of peace: ASPROUL. Free University, Bogotá,
ARTICLES IN ACADEMIC REVIEWS
- Peña, Luis, 2016 " The Secunormativity: the urban sociability seen throughout every day´s surveillance practices." URVIO-Revista Latinoamericana de Estudios de Seguridad 18 (2016): 104-123.
- Peña, Luis, 2016. Defend the capital: the securitisation of the space of dependence of Bogota during Uribe Vélez administration. Cuadernos de Geografía, 25(2), 251.
- Peña, Luis, The contentious collective action, political process and urban securitisation. Building geographies of hope. Journal Territories, (31), 57-83. Doi: dx.doi.org/10.12804/territ31, 2014
- Other interests
- Fellowship of CALAS Regional Center Cono Sur. August- December 2019
- Scholarship CAPAZ. Colombian- German Institute for Peace. December 2018 - July 2019.
- Scholarship from the Bundesstiftung zur Aufarbeitung der SED Diktatur, to develop the project "Memory work: what to learn from Germany" 2017